The College of Engineering and Information Technology (COEIT) is inviting student organizations to submit a proposal for the COEIT Community Engagement Program. The College seeks to support innovative projects that engage with local communities in the Baltimore area and enhance our relationship with community stakeholders. Projects should address a need identified by the community, promote science and engineering in the local community and enhance the visibility of UMBC and COEIT. The college has planned for up to five projects at a maximum of $5,000 each.
A printable copy of this information is also available. [PDF]
The proposed projects should meet the following criteria:
- The proposed pilot activity must be developed and coordinated by members of COEIT student organizations and be designed so that it adheres to all UMBC student organization policies.
- The proposed activity must involve some type of outreach or community engagement with a clearly defined target collaborative organization or community. The proposal must clearly articulate how the student organization will collaborate with that organization or community to accomplish an important and mutually-beneficial goal.
- The proposed activity must promote some aspect of science and engineering.
- The project team must have a faculty mentor.
- The project team must agree to work with either the UMBC Shriver Center or the Center for Democracy and Civic Life, or both, during the project.
- The proposed pilot activity should be designed to occur beginning Spring semester 2023 and can be planned for a duration of up to 18 months.
- If the activity was successfully implemented, members of the same student organizations may submit a request for a second round of funding for the project.
- More than one student organization can be on a single proposal but the lead organization must be a student organization associated with COEIT.
- The project team must commit to submit a final report at the conclusion of the project.
The application should contain:
- Cover page containing title, proposal team members and contact information (1 page)
- Description of activity and scope of work (2 pages maximum)
- Statement of support from student organization advisor (1 page)
- Statement of support from mentor if different from organization advisor (1 page)
- Project Sustainability Plan after grant period ends (1 page)
- Schedule (1 page)
- Detailed line item budget (1 page)
All application material should be submitted using the following link:
A committee formed by COEIT faculty and staff will review the proposals immediately after the deadline. Student organizations will be notified about the status of their application.