UMBC offers several opportunities for you to conduct research and participate in several opportunities to extend your horizons. Visit the UMBC Undergraduate Research website to find out more and use the searchable tool to explore the research experience that matches your academic, research, and professional goals.
Below are some the summer research offerings available to UMBC students in the College of Engineering and Information Technology.
National Institutes of Standards & Technology Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (NIST/SURF)
- Undergraduates interested in continuing their education in STEM fields
- On-site experience at one of six NIST facilities
- Hands-on experience working with cutting-edge technologies
- Eleven-week experience with world’s leading research organizations
National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates (NSF-REU)
- Undergraduates interested in careers in science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) disciplines
- Conduct hands-on, team-based research on a specific research topic
- Receive mentoring from respected faculty leaders in their fields
- Eight-ten week online summer program
Summer Biomedical Training Program
- Undergraduates interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in biomedical or behavioral sciences
- Cross-disciplinary research
- Ten-week hands-on experience with faculty
UMBC works closely with employers and offices on campus to ensure that your research experience is noted on your transcript as documentation that you have completed a significant learning experience that has been approved by the University.