During Summer 2019 (June 2-August 10), the College participated in the inaugural COEIT Summer Research Experience Program (COEIT-SREP). Student participants received a stipend up to $4,500 for a 10-week experience that included housing and registration to participate in the Leadership Alliance summer research program, which is a national consortium of more than 30 member institutions that mentor the next generation of leaders and role models.
Twenty-five UMBC undergraduate students from COEIT labs participated in the professional development events, lunches, picnics, and other activities during 2019. Any student working in a COEIT lab is welcome to join the community.
The summer 2019 cohort included undergraduate students from Brown University, Calvin University, Catholic University, Howard University, and Rowan University, who were paired with faculty mentors from all four COEIT academic departments to conduct research in biomedical engineering, civil engineering, computer science, and data science.
Summer 2019 Participants
- Lorrayya Williams was pared with faculty mentor Sanjay Purushotham, assistant professor of information systems
- Justin Drummond was paired with faculty mentor Carlos Romero-Talamas, associate professor of mechanical engineering
- Alexa Diano was paired with faculty mentor Greg Szeto, assistant professor of chemical, biochemical and environmental engineering
- Achuna Ofonedu was paired with faculty mentor Jianwu Wang, assistant professor of information systems
- Signe Golash was paired with faculty mentor David Chapman, assistant professor of computer science and electrical engineering
Participants presented their research during the 2019 Summer Undergraduate Research Fest, which was held at UMBC on August 7, 2019.