University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the College of Engineering and Information Technology, for a term beginning July 1, 2014.
Dean’s Role and Responsibilities
The Dean of the College of Engineering and Information Technology (COEIT) is the chief academic and administrative officer of the College. S/he reports directly to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. The roles and responsibilities of this position include:
- Advancing the mission of the college, building on the college’s strengths in research and scholarly accomplishments by faculty, graduate, and undergraduate students; supporting continued success in the teaching and service missions of its academic departments and programs; and contributing to UMBC’s aspirations to be one of the finest of the new American research universities that effectively blends advanced research and high-quality teaching.
- Serving as a catalyst for research innovation and for the integration of research and undergraduate/graduate/post-doctoral education across the college.
- Identifying, developing, expanding, and sustaining public and private partnerships and sources of research funding.
- Collaborating with on-campus and off-campus partners to identify and engage in innovative strategies to strengthen technology transfer, venture creation, and other economic development initiatives.
- Fostering and facilitating opportunities for interdisciplinary research and teaching collaborations.
- Bringing visibility to the research and educational accomplishments of the college both within and outside the campus.
- Fostering a culture of highest ethical standards, compliance with external and internal policies and procedures, regulations, and effective business practices in the college.
- Working effectively with faculty and staff, academic programs and centers to provide visionary and innovative leadership to the college’s strategic planning and budget development; overseeing teaching, research, outreach and administration within the college.
- Developing and promoting activities that support a large and diverse faculty, overseeing faculty recruitment and development, promotion and tenure, and the appointment of departmental chair persons and center directors.
- Representing the interests of the college and the University to various constituencies both within and outside of the UMBC community, and participating in campus-wide shared governance processes.